2015-16 Young Artist Competition
Instrumental (Piano, Strings, Woodwinds, Brass)
Ofiicial Rules and Regulations
- Applicants must be born on or after March 1, 1998
- Be a resident of the greater New York metropolitan area or enrolled in an elementary, junior/senior high school, or any music school, pre-college or college program located in the greater New York metropolitan area.
- The greater New York metropolitan area is defined as the 5 boroughs of New York City, Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Rockland, Orange counties of New York State, Bergen, Passaic, Hudson, Essex, Union, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris counties of New Jersey, Fairfield county of Connecticut.
- We reserve the right to request proof of proof of age and/or residency from all applicants.
- Please read the complete rules and regulations and repertoire list carefuly to determine eligibility.
- Download the application form and submit completed application form along with a $75 check payable to Ensemble 212
- Applicants may submit a CD, DVD, Blu-ray disc or upload via file sharing services such as Google Drive, Dropbox, or video sites such as YouTube or Vimeo with link provided. The recording must consist of selections from the repertoire list for the applicant's instrument that the applicant wishes to be considered for the performance.
- Applicants must also include a signed letter of approval or email from their private teacher.
- Repertoire not listed is subject to instrumentation (the size of orchestra) and availability of performance materials (orchestral parts). If an applicant wishes to perform any such work that is not listed, prior approval must be made with Ensemble 212. The applicant and/or the applicant's legal guardian shall be responsible for any charges incurred for the rental of the performance material and performance rights.
- Submit completed application and recording along with $75 check payable to Ensemble 212. The application fee is non-refundable.
- All applications must be postmarked by Thursday March 3, 2016. Electronic media files must be uploaded by 12:01 AM Friday, March 4, 2016.
- Up to 8 applicants will be selected to advance to the final round based on their recorded application. The results of the preliminary round will be sent by email to all applicants by Monday March 7, 2016.
- The final round will be held on Friday March 18, 2016 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM at Yamaha Artist Services Piano Salon 689 5th Ave 3rd floor (entrance on E 54th St) New York, NY 10022 and open to the general public.
- All applicants will be allotted 15 minute slots.
- Any applicant who is unable to attend the competition for any reason will be disqualified. No make-ups are allowed.
- Due to limitations of space, there is no warm up room available. Please understand that this situtation is beyond our control and please make every effort to warm up beforehand.
- Applicants will make provisions for his/her own accompanist.
- Applicants must perform all works from memory.
- Performances that exceed the 15 minute time limit may be interrupted by the jury.
- Applicants must prepare three copies of the score for the jury. The scores will be returned after the performance.
- Two overall winners of the competition (one grand prize winner and one 2nd Prize Winner) will perform with Ensemble 212 at the Season Finale & Annual Young Artist Showcase concert at Good Shpeherd-Faith Presbyterian Church in New York City on Saturday April 2, 2016. The Grand Prize winner will be awarded a cash prize of $250. No prize money will be awarded to the 2nd Prize Winner.
- The decisions of the jury at every round of the competition are final and beyond appeal.
- Up to 2 alternates will be selected at the discretion of the jury. In case the winners cannot perform at the concert, the alternates selected by the jury will perform in the winners’ place.
- Winners are ineligible to compete in any other Ensemble 212 Young Artist Competition for the following 2 years. This does not apply to the alternate if he/she does not take the place of the winner.