2017-18 Young Artist Competition
Instrumental (Piano, Strings, Woodwinds, Brass)
Young Park, Director, Ensemble 212 Young Artist Competition
Yoon Jae Lee, Artistic Director, Ensemble 212
Official Rules and Regulations
- Applicants must be born on or after March 1, 2000
- Be a resident of the greater New York metropolitan area or enrolled in an elementary, junior/senior high school, or any music school, pre-college or college program located in the greater New York metropolitan area.
- The greater New York metropolitan area is defined as the 5 boroughs of New York City, Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Rockland, Orange counties of New York State, Bergen, Passaic, Hudson, Essex, Union, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris counties of New Jersey, Fairfield county of Connecticut.
- We reserve the right to request proof of proof of age and/or residency from all applicants.
- Please read the complete rules and regulations and repertoire list carefuly to determine eligibility.
- Go to Acceptd.com and start the application by selecting the Young Artist Competition.
- Submit the completed application form along with the media files and $100 fee. The application fee is non-refundable.
- Repertoire not listed is subject to instrumentation (the size of orchestra) and availability of performance materials (orchestral parts). If an applicant wishes to perform any such work that is not listed, prior approval must be made with Ensemble 212. The applicant and/or the applicant’s parents or legal guardians shall be responsible for any charges incurred for the rental of the performance material and performance rights.
- All applications must be complete with uploaded media files by 11:59 PM Sunday, April 15, 2018.
- Up to 8 applicants will be selected to advance to the final round based on their recorded application. The results of the preliminary round will be sent by email to all applicants by Friday April 20, 2018.
- The final round will be held on Thursday April 26, 2018 from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM at the Bloomingdale School of Music Library 323 W 108th St (between Broadway and Riverside Drive) New York, NY 10025.
- All applicants will be allotted 12 minute slots. The jury reserves the right to interrupt the applicant before his/her 12 minutes are complete.
- Any applicant who is unable to attend the competition for any reason will be disqualified. No make-ups are allowed.
- There is one warm up room available. Please understand that this room needs to be shared so make every effort to be courteous to other contestants.
- Applicants will make provisions for his/her own accompanist.
- Applicants must perform all works from memory.
- Performances that exceed the 12 minute time limit may be interrupted by the jury.
- Applicants must prepare three copies of the score for the jury. The scores will be returned after the performance.
- Two overall winners of the competition (one grand prize winner and one 2nd Prize Winner) will perform with Ensemble 212 at the Season Finale & Annual Young Artist Showcase concert at Good Shpeherd-Faith Presbyterian Church in New York City on Saturday April 2, 2016. The Grand Prize winner will be awarded a cash prize of $250. No prize money will be awarded to the 2nd Prize Winner.
- The decisions of the jury at every round of the competition are final and beyond appeal.
- Up to 2 alternates will be selected at the discretion of the jury. In case the winners cannot perform at the concert, the alternates selected by the jury will perform in the winners’ place.
- Winners are ineligible to compete in any other Ensemble 212 Young Artist Competition for the following 2 years. This does not apply to the alternate if he/she does not take the place of the winner.